Request Instant Quote

Cyprus properties for sale
Cyprus long term rentals
Land for sale in Cyprus

Cyprus Immigration Procedure

Permanent Living or Retirement in Cyprus

[Application for a permit to settle in Cyprus permanently without working (Category F)]

In order to settle in Cyprus permanently and to live on earnings derived from your pension and/or other income from sources outside Cyprus and to inform you that, under the existing legislation in order to obtain such an Immigration Permit, you have to apply to the Chief Immigration Officer, Nicosia, Cyprus, for his approval under Category «F» of Regulation five of the Aliens and Immigration Regulations of 1972-1996 on the attached form M.67.

In accordance with the above-mentioned regulations your application will be examined in the first instance by the Immigration Control Board whose findings and recommendations will be subsequently submitted to the Minister of Interior for a decision in his capacity as chief Immigration Officer.

You are kindly requested to submit together with your above-mentioned application a short «Curriculum Vitae» of yourself and documentary evidence that you have in your own and free disposition a secured annual income (such as pension, dividends from investments, interest from deposits, etc.) of a sufficient amount to support yourself and your family whilst in Cyprus. Please note that only original or officially certified copies of the documents showing your secured annual income are accepted.

If your application for an Immigration Permit is finally approved, under the above mention Regulations, you will not be allowed to engage in any form of business profession or occupation, whether paid or unpaid while residing in Cyprus and you will have to support yourself and all your family from own income.

Please note that the required secured annual income for a person is €9,568 (CY£5,600) plus €4,613 (CY£2,700) for each dependent person.

Employment and Residence Permits

All foreign nationals who wish to live and work in Cyprus, with the exception of those undertaking seasonal employment only, are required to apply for a Temporary Residence Employment Permit (TRE). EU nationals who arrive to seek work within the country must initially register with the Department of the Population and Migration Archive, or an office of the Aliens and Migration Service. Within three months of arrival, they are required to apply to the Population and Migration Archive for a residence permit.

Residence permits are usually granted easily to the foreign employees of off-shore companies based in Cyprus and to foreign consultants and their employees, in line with Cyprus’ policy of encouraging foreign investment and promoting the country’s advantages as an off-shore business location

For other foreign nationals wishing to work in Cyprus, employment permits can be harder to obtain, as the employer will be required to demonstrate that there are no suitably qualified Cypriot citizens available for the post on offer. The employer is required to submit the TRE application to the Migration Officer at the Ministry of the Interior in Nicosia. The Migration Officer will seek advice from the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance regarding the labour market conditions and the employer’s previous compliance with the work permit regulations, before deciding whether to approve the application.

Along with the relevant application forms, when applying for a Temporary Residence Employment Permit you will be required to include 4 passport-sized photographs, evidence of residence in Cyprus, such as your contract of sale or rental agreement, documentation confirming that you have private medical insurance and bank statements or other documents showing that you have at least €30,000 (CY£17,558) or the equivalent.  Non-EU nationals may be required to submit additional documentation.

If you are retiring to Cyprus and do not intend to work there, you will need to apply to the Migration Officer for a ‘Permit to settle in Cyprus permanently without working’.

Employment permits are usually issued for an initial two years, and are subsequently renewable every three years. Retirement permits are only issued for one year and have to be renewed annually, with evidence being provided that you continue to have sufficient finance to support yourself and any dependents.


To become a Cypriot citizen you have to be over 18 years old, have lived in Cyprus legally for at least 7 years, and have lived there continuously for at least one year prior to application. The documents required for the naturalization application process include copies of your birth certificate and passport, a character certificate and two photographs. Applicants are also required to post in a Cypriot newspaper for two consecutive days their intention to apply for naturalization.


Passport: Required, except for holders of:

1. Laissez-Passer issued by the United Nations. Nationals of Egypt and Israel can enter Cyprus with Laissez-Passer provided they are holding an entry permit previously obtained from the Immigration Department in Nicosia;
2. Travel document issued by the Government of Cyprus to nationals of Cyprus;
3. Document issued to stateless persons and recognised refugees.
4. Further to the above, citizens of the European Union countries, as well as of Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway may enter Cyprus with their national identity card provided there is a photo.

Validity: Passports of alien non-residents must be valid for 3 months beyond the period of intended stay. Visitors who wish to obtain a visa are advised to be in possession of a passport valid at least for 6 months beyond the period of intended stay.

Admission and transit restrictions: The Government of the Republic of Cyprus refuses admission to:

Holders of Former Yugoslavian Republic’s passports bearing a renewal stamp with the name “Macedonia”. Entry is only allowed to holders of Yugoslavian passports without the above-mentioned stamp.
Holders of “passports” issued illegally by the secessionist entity, the so-called “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”. Other nationalities having stamps or visas of the so-called “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus” in their passports are only allowed to enter Cyprus after the above-mentioned visas/stamps are cancelled by the Immigration Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus.
Artists working in Cabarets must hold a certificate for AIDS, hepatitis and syphilis, issued no more than 1 month prior to their arrival to Cyprus, otherwise they will not be allowed to enter Cyprus. The issue of an entry employment permit by the Migration Officer is required.
"TRNC" has been denied any international recognition and has been condemned and declared as illegal by the whole of International Community through Security Council Resolutions 541/83 and 550/84”
Additional information:

Visitors, who entered Cyprus via the illegal airport of Tymbou, situated in the occupied part of the island, so called “Ercan” or the closed ports of Famagusta, Kyrenia or Karavostassi will be refused entry into the free areas. The airports of Larnaca, and Paphos and the ports of Larnaca, Limassol, Paphos, and Latsi are situated in the areas controlled by the Republic of Cyprus. Leaving the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus via the aforementioned illegal airport, the so called airport of “Ercan” or the closed ports of Famagusta, Kyrenia or Karavostassi is forbidden.

Visa Warning: Non-compliance with the entry regulations will result in the deportation of the visitor

Looking For Property